Sunday 8 May 2016

Taking action and creating habits

Last week was an interesting one for the old head, but it all came good in the end thanks to the input or a certain Mr A (not me, someone else who's identity I must protect). I've spoke in my past blogs about taking action rather than just writing about it, planning it and thinking it over. All the last three things I am guilty of, but after a stern word by my good friend I did take some action on Friday evening. Not only did it feel exciting (take note of the Parental Bloody Advisory post to understand why this is important), but it kick started a weekend of actions that have created positive results.

I won't waffle on too much about the details here because the time for thinking it over and talking about it is gone. The time for just getting on with taking steps is here and as daunting as that may be it's a necessary step both for me and anyone that is saying "I can't.....". There are many things that may or may not hold us back in the pursuit of our goals, but they are in our minds until we are actually facing them. We shouldn't be the thing standing in our own way. It is hard to tell yourself this and that is why a true friend like Mr. A is vital to any team. If he hadn't taken me to the driving range on Friday to help me get my frustrations out and have a laugh then I would have started the weekend in a funk. If he hadn't told me to stop saying "I can't...." then I wouldn't have taken steps to help myself. Time to check your team.

This weekend I have done a little reading, though not much because of all the action I've been taking ;-) I have been reading a free e-book by James Clear on creating new habits. It's worth a look as there are some very practical tools in there for creating habits. After running ten miles this morning I am using these tools to continue that training and taking action. In terms of depression this action taking is vital because it counteracts the negative loop of thinking that routinely takes place inside my head. Whether it is me doubting myself or just the feelings associated with depression, action shows my brain that I can overcome these challenges. Through consistent action and results (success or failure) I can at least take my mind off the negative thinking for a moment or two.

There are times when I write to vent, but this is not one of those times. For once I am happy and excited about the coming days because I have been "doing" rather than thinking. It may seem a challenge at times but forgetting the thinking and just jumping into action will surprise you. So JUST DO IT.

Tom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment